The Complete Guide on How To Choose Your Next PC

The eternal guide for non-geeks on how to choose wisely
Photo by Tianyi Ma on Unsplash
 So, the time has come for you to buy a new laptop, or maybe you want to try out a desktop computer and you don’t know which one and how you must choose, don’t worry, I’ll do my best to help you out.

Edit: I’ve created a website to help users choose the best computer available at Amazon. All you have to do is fill out a form and at the end the website will show you the best option for you.




Desktop or Laptop

Photo by Lorenzo Herrera on Unsplash 

The Operative System: Mac vs Windows vs Linux

First, what is an operative system?

Mac OS

Linux

You’ll have to do almost everything (and I mean, everything) by yourself, like installing drivers for your PC components, obviously using the command line (terminal). If you have no idea what I’m talking about, just forget about using any Linux based OS (like Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, and so on).

Windows

In brief

If you have the money, go for Mac OS. If you don’t have the money, choose Windows. But unless you know what you’re doing, don’t go for Linux.

How to choose the CPU

Intel:

AMD:

The numbers

Memory is measured as any flash drive, hard drive, or any other memory you know. Because I want this article to be as general as it can possibly be, I’ll give to you the smallest-to-biggest list: Kb, Mb, Gb, Tb. Therefore, when the CPU details mention a memory number (called cache), you want to aim as high as possible.

RAM

I need my PC to write emails, use office apps, and internet.

I’ll use my PC for casual gaming

I’ll use my PC for heavy programming, 3D modeling and/or gaming

EXTRA: I bought a PC and it gets slow when I have multiple open programs

Don’t worry, you can always upgrade your RAM. There are several articles out there explaining how to find a compatible RAM with your PC and how to install it yourself (by installing I mean opening your PC with your hands and inserting it. There’s no such thing as downloading/installing more RAM from the internet, you’ll only invite some nasty virus into your life).

Storage

However, I also recommend buying an external HDD to do backups and save those files you won’t use frequently. This way, hopefully you won’t face any lack of storage scenario.

Graphics Processing Unit

If you’re not into gaming, you can skip this section. You will do fine with the integrated graphics which come with your CPU.
Fortunately, as of 2020, GPUs are having an amazing rate of evolution. They are almost as complex as the PC itself. Because of this, it is extremely hard to write a general guide on how to choose these. I apologize for this, but the best I can do here is to recommend you look for multiple GPUs and check how they perform with the game you want to play. Look for the one which will perform with no problem, that way it will suffice you for a long time.

Screen

Conclusion

Choosing a PC can be a daunting task for some people. Friends of mine ask me for advice on how to choose a PC frequently, that’s why I wrote this article, I wanted to write something to help them, and along the way, help you. I hope you found this useful. I know it was quite long to read, yet I wanted to cover as much as possible, as simple as possible (I’m sorry if you were looking for something more specific).

Comments